The management of the affairs of the Club shall be vested in the Committee.
The Committee shall exercise all such powers and do all such things as may be exercised or done by the Club save such as are, by these Articles or by any ordinance in force in Hong Kong required to be exercised or done by the Club in General Meeting subject nevertheless to any regulations or provisions contained in the Ordinance, and to such regulations or provisions, not being inconsistent with the said regulations and provisions, as may be prescribed by the Club in General Meeting; but no regulations made by the Club in General Meeting shall invalidate any prior act of the Committee which would have been valid if such regulations had not been made.
The Committee shall have power to appoint and remove all employees of the Club and to fix the amount of their remuneration; also to purchase all necessary gear, furniture, refreshments, etc., and incur other expenditure for the requirements of the Club.
The Committee shall have power from time to time to make, alter and rescind all such By-laws as it may deem necessary or convenient for the proper conduct and management of the Club, and in particular, though not exclusively it may by such By-laws regulate:
(a) The hours of the opening and closing of the Club House or other permises belonging to the Club or any part hereof;
(b) The charges to be paid for participation in any games or function of the Club and for the use or supply of any of the property of the Club;
(c) The rules to be observed and stakes to be played for by Members. Honorary Members Visiting Members. Lady Subscribers or Visitors playing any games on the Club's permises;
(d) The admission of visitors to the premises and benefits of the Club;
(e) The prohibition of particular games in the Club's premises entirely or at any particular time;
(f) The conduct of Members, Honorary Members, Visiting Members, Lady Subscribers and Visitors of the Club in relation to one another and to the Club servants;
(g) The setting aside of any part of the Club's permises for particular puropses;
(h) The imposition of nominal fines for the breach of any By-laws or any Articles of Association of the Club;
(i) The election and expulsion of Members; and
(j) Generally all such other matters as are commonly the subject matter of the Club rules.
Provided always that no By-laws shall be inconsistent with or shall affect or repeal anything contained in these Articles, and that any By-laws may be set aside by a Special Resolution of a General Meeting of the Club.
The committee shall have power to increase or decrease the entrance and other fees and/or subscriptions payable by all Members, Visiting Members and Lady Subscribers by such amount and on such terms as it shall in its discretion think fit: Provided always that the Committee shall first give to the Members, Visiting Members and Lady Subscribers 30 day's notice of its intention to do so.
The Committee shall adopt such means as it deems sufficient to being to the notice of all Members, Honorary Members, Visiting Members, Lady Subscribers and visitors all such By-laws, amendments or repeals. All such By-laws, so long as they are in force, shall be binding on all Members, Honorary Members, Visiting Members, Lady Subecribers, and Visitors of the Club, and unless otherwise stated shall become effective from the date of the notice.
(1) The Committee shall cause true accounts to be kept of the money received and expended, and of the assets and liabilities of the Club. The accounts shall be made up to and closed on the 31st day of December in each year and a Balance Sheet containing a summary of the assets and liabilities of the Club shall be signed by the President or Vice-President and Treasurer and two General Committee members. The auditor's report shall be attached to each Balance Sheet.
(2) Proper books shall not be deemed to be kept if here are not kept such books of account as are necessary to give a true and fair view of the state of the Club's affairs and to explain its transactions.
(1) The General Committee shall cause minutes to be made in books provided for the purpose -
(i) of all appointments of Officials made by the General Committee;
(ii) of the names of the General Committee members present at each meeting of the General Committee and of any Sub-Committee of the General Committee;
(iii) of all resolutions and proceedings at all meeting of the Club, and of the General Committee and of Sub-Committee of the General Committee;
and every General Committee member present at any meeting of the General Committee or committee of General shall sign his name in a book to be kept for that purpose.
(2) The books of account shall be kept at the Office of the Club, or subject to the applicable statutory requirements of the Ordinance, at such other place or places as the General Committee think fit, and shall always be open to the inspection of the General Committee members.
(3) The General Committee shall from time to time determine whether and to what extent and at what times and places and under what conditions or regulations the accounts and books of the Club or any of them shall be open to the inspection of members not being General Committee members, and no member (not being a General COmmittee member) shall have any right of inspecting any account or book of document of the Club except as conferred by statute or authorized by the General Committee or by the Club in general meeting.
(4) The General Committee shall from time to time in accordance with the applicable statutory requirements of the Ordinance, cause to be prepared and to be laid before the Club in general meeting such income and expenditure accounts, balance sheets and reports as are required by the statutes.
The Committee may, at its discretion, re-instate any Member, Honorary Member, Visiting Member or Lady Subscriber dealt with under Article 52 hereof upon payment if all dues and on receipt of a written explanation of the cause of non-payment.
The Committee may, after inquiry and notice given, suspend a Member, Honorary Member, Visiting Member or Lady Subscriber whose conduct is in question from the use of the Club House, the facilities of the Club and all privileges for a period not exceeding 3 months. Notwithstanding such suspension the person concerned shall continue to be liable for the monthly subscriptions and all sums due to the Club.
The Committee shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting under the conditions as stated in Article 70 upon the written requisition of any thirty Members or such requisition as provided by sections 566 to 568 of the Ordinance.
The mechanism of elections and re-elections including eligibility criteria of voters and candidates nomination procedures and election process are governed by Articles 5 & 6 of the Articles of Association of the Club.
(1) The Committee shall consist of twelve Members (who may be either Special Voting Members or Ordinary Voting Members), namely, a President, a Vice-President, an Honorary Secretary and an Honorary Treasurer, who shall be Officers of the Club, and eight other Members. They shall be elected by Members at each Annual General Meeting. Vacancies occurring during the year shall, if considered necessary or advisable by the Committee, be filled by the Committee from time to time from among the Members who may be Special Voting Members or Ordinary Voting Members. Before a Member is eligible to be elected by the Annual General Meeting or appointed by the Committee to be a Member of the Committee, he shall have been a Member of at least 10 years, be of good standing and ordinarily resident in Hong Kong.
(2) Nominations for election into the Committee shall -
(a) be submitted in writing to the Secretary by the Proposer, who shall be a Special Voting Member or an Ordinary Voting Member, at least ten clear days prior to the holding of the Annual General Meeting; and
(b) be signed by the Proposer and Seconder, who shall also be a Special Voting Member or an Ordinary Voting Member, and include a statement, over the signature of the proposed candidate, of his willingness to accept office if elected.
(3) If no nominations are received or if the nominations received within the time prescribed in paragraph 2(a) are insufficient in number to make up a Committee comprising a President, a Vice-President, an Honorary Secretary and an Honorary Treasurer and eight other Members (who may be Special Voting Members or Ordinary Voting Members) the meeting shall stand adjourned for two weeks for further nominations to be submitted in accordance with paragraph (2) to fill the existing vacancies. If at the adjourned meeting any vacancy remains, such of the vacating members who shall be named by the Chairman at the meeting as have not had their vacancies filled shall be deemed to have been re-elected at the adjourned meeting, notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2)
(4) A candidate standing for nomination either as President, Vice-President, Honorary Secretary, or Honorary Treasurer may, if not elected into such office, be eligible for election as one of the eight such members to serve on the Committee.
(1) The General Committee members shall retire from office at every Annual General Meeing of the Club, but they shall be eligible for re-election in accordance with the provisions of Article 5.
(2) If an Annual General Meeting is not held on or before 30 April in any calendar year the General Committee members shall not retire on that date but shall continue in office until an Annual General Meeting is held in that year.
(3) At the Annual General Meeting at which General Committee members retire as aforesaid, the members shall elect, in accordance with the provisions of Article 5, a new Committee and General Committee members so retiring shall, subject to the said provisions, be eligible for election.